Home 1st and 210 UTSA Hosts Army – 2nd Half Report

UTSA Hosts Army – 2nd Half Report


For a recap of the first half, click HERE.

3rd Quarter

Army got the ball to start the second half after electing to defer at the coin toss. Army started the half at their 25 and only got as far as the 50 yard line where the Roadrunner defense stopped two Black Knight rushing attempts for losses, forcing a 3rd & 16 situation. With Army pressured to pass, Corey Mayfield Jr chased down the Black Knights’ quarterback, Cade Ballard for a loss of 9 yards to the Army 35. A great 59-yard punt from Army’s Zach Harding to UTSA’s Sheldon Jones waiting at his own six yard line, which was only returned for three yards to the UTSA nine yard line.

Pinned near the end zone, Sincere McCormick rushed up the middle for four yards, giving the offense room to move. The Roadrunners made it to the 33, but no further after a pass from Narcisse to Zakhari Franklin was ruled out of bounds, and Lucas Dean came back out to punt for the home team.

On the ensuing drive, Army found their first movement of the second half, and on 2nd & 7 got a little help from an unnecessary roughness call on Corey Mayfield Jr, advancing the black Knights 14 yards to the UTSA 37 yard line. On the next play Tyhier Tyler ran 37 yards to punctuate a 7 play, 70 yard drive with a touchdown, pushing Army to a 21-10 lead with 4 minutes left in the third quarter after the extra point.

Illegal block in the back on UTSA took 10 yards off a great return on the kickoff, setting up the Roadrunners at their 35 instead of their 45 yard line. UTSA was facing a 4th & 1 when Army was called for illegal procedure / disconcerting signals, a five yard penalty and giving UTSA a fresh set of downs. The Roadrunners worked the ball down to the Army 31 yard line as the quarter came to an end. UTSA will start the fourth quarter facing a 3rd & 1, down 21-10 to Army.

4th Quarter

After Sincere McCormick was wrapped up for no gain on third down, Lowell Narcisse took off up the middle on fourth down, and ran down to the 11 yard line. An exciting moment quickly turned somber as Narcisse was injured on the play and had to leave the field on the medical cart, but not after being visited by a number of his teammates. Frank Harris came in, and on the next play connected with Zakhari Franklin for the receiver’s second touchdown of the day. The extra point attempt was blocked by Army’s Ryan Duran. With 14 minutes left in the game, Army leads 21-16.


UTSA looked to have Army’s number on the Black Knights’ next drive, stopping Army for a loss of three yards on first down, but the defense was derailed by penalties, first by a face-mask by Antonio Parks on 2nd & 13 that advanced Army 15 yards with a new set of downs, and then by a roughing the passer call tacked on the end of a 53 pass and catch from Army’s Cade Ballard to Camden Harrison. The play set the Black Knights up with 1st & Goal, which they converted into a touchdown off a Cade Ballard 5-yard run. Army made the extra point and took a 28-16 lead with 13 minutes left in the game.

Sincere McCormick took over on UTSA’s next drive, first rushing 22 yards, and a play later for 8 yards. Army’s Julian McDuffie was called for targeting on his tackle of McCormick, causing McDuffie to be ejected from the game, and moving UTSA half the distance to the goal, down to the Army 26 yard line. Another McCormick run of 16 yards advanced UTSA to the 10 yard line, but three straight passes for no gain set up fourth down for the Roadrunners. Frank Harris couldn’t find a receiver and tried to run for the endzone himself, but was stopped at the three yard line, turning the ball over on downs to Army on the spot.

With ten minutes left in the game, Army found success running the ball and the clock, draining it all the way down to 3:47. On 1st & 10 from the Army 48, Tyler Thyier ran for two yards, but UTSA’s Ken Robinson forced a fumble that was recovered by his teammate Charles Wiley. After Frank Harris found Zakhari Franklin for 20 yards on the sideline on first down, the UTSA drive stalled four plays later after Army forced an incompletion on fourth down to get the ball back with just under three minutes left, and turned to their run game to close this one out. The final from San Antonio – Army 28, UTSA 16.

With the loss, UTSA falls to 3-3 on the season, marking three straight losses for the Roadrunners, while Army improves to 5-1. UTSA will prepare for conference play this week as they will host Louisiana Tech in the Alamodome at 7pm. The game will be broadcast on ESPN 3 and ESPN +.

Game Note: With his last catch in the fourth quarter Zakhari Franklin set a new UTSA team record for catches in a game with 12.


Previous articleUTSA Hosts Army – Halftime Report
Next articleUTSA Game Day Gallery: Week 6 Army
Stephen Michael 26, is a journalist, social media coordinator, host, and entertainment reporter. Michael graduated in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in Communication Arts and earned a Master's Degree in Digital Media in 2020 from the University of the Incarnate Word. He has worked covering the San Antonio Rampage, Stars, and San Antonio Futbol Club. He was the host of the Project Spurs Roundtable on NBC affiliate News 4 San Antonio from 2015-17.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

18 + 16 =