By Scott Hansen, SAPreps
Player of the Week
Buddy Santos | Devine | RB
– Santos was a major force in Devine’s 49-48 victory over a talented Uvalde squad. Santos finished with 241 rushing yards and four touchdowns and added another while linking up with quarterback Brady Hackebell in a thrilling victory. Without returning 1,000-yard back Justin Contreras through two games due to a minor injury, Santos has stepped up in his absence. Santos rushed for 558 yards and eight touchdowns as a junior for the Warhorses.
Cole Andrus | Jourdanton | QB – In a game closer than the 56-35 final score indicated, Andrus threw for 386 yards and three touchdowns in a losing effort against CC Calallen.
Tanner Bowman | Uvalde | WR – Bowman caught six passes for 157 yards and two touchdowns in a 49-48 loss to Uvalde.
Donovan Davila | Uvalde | QB – Davila is the second leading passer in the area in yardage and leads in touchdown passes after completing 22-of-32 passes for 374 yards and six touchdowns in a 49-48 loss to Devine.
Oscar Falcon | Comfort | QB – Falcon did a little bit of everything in a 30-6 victory over Mason. Falcon accounted for 213 yards and three touchdowns while booting a 42-yard field goal and launching a massive boot of 57 yards with a punt in the victory.
Jude George | Poth | QB – George completed 11-of-14 passes for 176 yards, rushed for 74 yards, and accounted for five touchdowns in a 58-0 victory over Falls City. Poth is averaging 59 points a game through two contests and allowing just 3.5 per game.
Jesse Horner | Canyon Lake | RB – In a 61-23 triumph against La Grange, Horner rushed for 180 yards and five touchdowns on 13 carries. Three Canyon Lake players rushed for more than 100 yards in the victory, including Derek Wiatrek and Ryan Rivali.
Jarel Lilly | Jourdanton | WR – In a 56-35 loss to CC Calallen, Lilly caught 12 passes for 196 yards and a touchdown.
Christian Marshall | Wimberley | WR – Marshall hooked up with quarterback Matthew Tippe on an 83-yard touchdown strike to open the scoring and finished with 127 yards and two touchdowns on only three catches in a 33-14 victory over Cuero. Wimberley takes over at No. 1 this week.
Javier Rodriguez | Fredericksburg | FS – Intercepted two passes in a 54-14 victory over Jarrell.
Christian Rivera | Uvalde | WR – For the third straight week, Rivera made three visits to the end zone and finished with 105 yards on eight catches in a 49-48 loss to Devine.
San Antonio Preps Week 2 Small School Power Rankings
(Scheduled games are subject to change)
- Wimberley (2-0) – vs. Lampasas (2)
- Boerne (2-0) – vs. Burnet (3)
- La Vernia (2-0) – at La Grange (5)
- Navarro (0-1) – vs. Needville (1)
- Jourdanton (1-1) – at Pleasanton (4)
- Canyon Lake (1-1) – at Beeville Jones (8)
- Holy Cross (0-0) – Opener Sept. 18 at San Antonio Christian (9)
- Poth (2-0) – vs. Karnes City (10)
- Devine (1-1) – vs. Randolph (NR)
- Uvalde (1-1) – at Hondo (6)
- Somerset (0-0) – vs. Sealy (11)
Gonzales (0-2) – vs. Fredericksburg (7)
On the Bubble
Comfort (2-0) – at Marion
Fredericksburg (2-0) – at Gonzales
Hondo (2-0) – vs. No. 10 Uvalde
Marion (2-0) – vs. Comfort
Randolph (1-0) – at No. 9 Devine