CEDAR PARK – Rocco Grimaldi’s two goal night lifted the San Antonio Rampage to a 5-4 overtime victory over the Texas Stars in front of 5,289 fans at the H-E-B Center on Wednesday night.
San Antonio earned the win thanks to some more heroics from Grimaldi, who moved up on the Rampage’s all-time scoring list. However, the negative side saw the Silver and Black give up a late lead and saw the home side force overtime.
Here is what went good and bad for the Rampage, as well as two standout players: Rocco Grimaldi and Dominic Toninato.
- The Rampage defeated their in-state rivals, including having a nice lead over them. That’s always a good thing.
- San Antonio’s power play went 2-for-4 on the night, an improvement from the past few weeks.
- Rocco Grimaldi continues to be a scoring threat for the Silver and Black.
- Spencer Martin came up big in overtime.
- San Antonio gave up a two goal lead two separate times, allowing Texas to force overtime and gain a point.
Three Standout Players:
Rocco Grimaldi: The smallest player on the ice was the biggest factor in the victory for the Silver and Black. He scored twice for his 11th and 12th goals of the season respectively. One of those goals is a candidate for goal of the year and gave San Antonio a 2-1 lead in the second period.
Grimaldi’s scoring presence has been something that San Antonio has missed earlier in the year. The winger previously scored a hat trick and had two double scoring games prior to the one against Texas.
Dominic Toninato: The Colorado Avalanche prospect had a two point night, scoring a goal and assisting on another. The game shows the solid play from Toninato. He scored the lone goal in the opening period, his fifth of the season. He also assisted on Nicolas Meloche’s second goal of the season, making it his fifth helper on the season.
The Rampage are now 17-12-2-0 (36 points) on the season and will return to the ice on Friday against the Stars at 7:30 p.m.