Home Rampage Central Rampage can’t complete comeback, fall in OT

Rampage can’t complete comeback, fall in OT

The San Antonio Rampage fell to the Utica Comets for the third time this season with a 5-4 overtime loss on Friday. (Photo by Darren Abate/AHL)
The San Antonio Rampage fell to the Utica Comets for the third time this season with a 5-4 overtime loss on Friday. (Photo by Darren Abate/AHL)

AT&T Center – If there is one team that has been the thorn in the side for the San Antonio Rampage, it is the Utica Comets. The Silver and Black are 0-2 against the Vancouver Canucks affiliate. On a Saturday, the pain from the thorn would be too strong once again.

San Antonio (13-6-2-0) got goals from four different players, but it would not be enough as they suffered a 5-4 loss in overtime to Utica (16-5-3-0) in front of a crowd of 5,637 at the AT&T Center on Friday evening.

“We made it harder on ourselves, we did not want to grind it out,” Rampage head coach Tom Rowe said. “When you play like we did for the majority of the game, we get what we deserve. We didn’t play good.”

Alexandre Grenier got Utica on the board first with a power play goal. Grenier would bury the puck past San Antonio goaltender Dan Ellis at 15:04 of the first period to put the visitors up by a goal going into the second period.

Utica took a 2-0 lead just over a minute into the second period. Ronalds Kenins put home a rebound off a Alex Biega shot past a diving Ellis and tipped the puck into the net.

The Rampage finally lit the lamp just over two minutes later while the Comets were on the power play. Brett Olson got free on a breakaway and put the puck off the back of Utica netminder Joacim Erikkson and into the net for a short-handed tally. Utica took back their two goal lead when Bobby Sanguinetti’s shot got past Ellis to make it 3-1 at the 7:40 mark of the middle frame.

San Antonio got back within one with a short-handed goal from Steven Kampfer. Alex Petrovic put home a power play goal late in the second period to knot the game at 3-3 going into the third and final period of regulation.

The Rampage took the lead for the first time midway though the third period. Logan Shaw put home Connor Brickley’s shot from the circle past Eriksson to put San Antonio up 4-3.

With time running out in regulation, Utica would even the score once again. Dustin Jeffery beat Ellis for this fourth point of the game and would sent the Rampage to their third straight overtime game. 3:17 into the extra period, Alex Biega sealed the 5-4 win for Utica.

San Antonio outshot the Comets 37-34 for the game. The Silver and Black finished 1-for-3 on the power play and Utica was 2-for-4.

The Rampage will return to the ice on Sunday afternoon when they welcome the Chicago Wolves to the AT&T Center at 4 p.m.

Previous articleRampage face Comets at home
Next articleRampage face Wolves for first time this season
Stephen Michael 26, is a journalist, social media coordinator, host, and entertainment reporter. Michael graduated in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in Communication Arts and earned a Master's Degree in Digital Media in 2020 from the University of the Incarnate Word. He has worked covering the San Antonio Rampage, Stars, and San Antonio Futbol Club. He was the host of the Project Spurs Roundtable on NBC affiliate News 4 San Antonio from 2015-17.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

11 − three =