Week 2 of the college football season sees the Incarnate Word Cardinals continue their two-game road trip, facing the Mean Green of North Texas. UIW opened the Eric Morris coaching era with a 62-30 loss to the New Mexico Lobos last Saturday despite a solid opening quarter.
We caught up with UIW radio broadcaster Chris Reyes (@ChrisRadioReyes) to get the 411 on the Mean Green as we dive into another game preview to set the scene for this matchup.
- 1 – (1A210) North Texas opened the season with a 46-23 home win over SMU last Saturday. What was your biggest takeaway from watching the Mean Green play over the past few years?
The mean green had a few rough years. They went 1-11 in 2015. However, coming off last years impressive 9-5 record they look really good. They took care of SMU by spreading out the field. They attempted 50 overall passes and completed 40 of them overall. Rico Bussey is a prime target for them. So I expect them to try to do the same vs UIW.
- 2 – Eric Morris tabbed true freshman Jon Copeland as the starting QB to open the season and he was impressive on his first drive, capping it off with a touchdown. What impressed you most about Copeland’s debut?
What impressed me the most was his poise. He came out commanding the offense. From the start, they seemed to be in Rhythm. He did make an early mistake throwing an interception, but rebounded very nicely. Copeland broke several records with that one performance alone.
- 3 – North Texas finished last season 9-5 overall, including a perfect 6-0 at home. What is it about Apogee Stadium that makes it a difficult place to play?
The fans. They have been showing up since the early 1900s. They love their mean green. Even when they had their off years they still showed up force. In fact, the city of Denton had to re-plan multiple times due to the traffic problems the fans created.
- 4 – This will be the first meeting between UIW and North Texas all-time. Who wins this game? What will be the difference maker?
I think it’ll be closer than most think. UIW with their revamped offense has played in hostile environments before, so I believe they’ll be up to the task. The difference maker will be the secondary of UIW. they were gashed constantly vs New Mexico with passes over the top. If UIW wants to win they will need to address that issue.
- 5 – Tell us something we should know about North Texas.
Interesting fact. The name “Mean Green” has two different beginnings. Fans aren’t sure how the name exactly became to be.
Incarnate Word – L
North Texas – W
Position in Standings
Incarnate Word – 0-1, 9th Southland Conference
North Texas – 1-0, 3rd C-USA West
Incarnate Word Cardinals (0-1) at North Texas Mean Green (1-0)
Kickoff 6:30 pm Central Time
Where to Watch: ESPN +
Keys To The Game
UIW is currently under a new offense under Coach Morris with a freshman quarterback. Winning games early on in the season is tough and doing it on the road is even tougher. Copeland impressed many on his opening drive alone and that should install confidence with Cardinals fans and students.
However, North Texas seems to be in sync on both ends of the field, whereas UIW’s secondary struggled against New Mexico. New systems take time and for UIW, it will need a little longer to get the kinks worked out. We’re calling this one for North Texas.
Incarnate Word – 14
North Texas – 35