The Texas State Bobcats earned a dominating 74-33 win over Incarnate Word on Wednesday night, improving to 3-0. UIW struggled all night along to get it going offensively while the Bobcats had the opposite effect, nailing 11 three-point attempts.
Here is what went good and bad for both teams as well as three standout players: Texas State’s Toshua Leavitt and Erika May and for UIW Melina Merrett.
- Texas State proved their win over Texas Tech was no fluke as they opened the game with a 22-9 lead after the first quarter. UIW could not get anything going on the offensive end and struggled in the opening period against the Bobcats defense.
- Toshua Leavitt’s first half performance helped lead Texas State to a win, despite another 20 minutes being played.
- The second quarter saw UIW keep pace with Texas State in the scoring column, but could not get any stops along the way.
- UIW shot just 23 percent for the game and scored a season-low 33 points.
- The Cardinals scored just 10 points in the second half, including a school-record low four points in the final quarter.
Three Standout Players:
Toshua Leavitt: The Texas State guard finished the game with 20 points, including 17 in the first half. She finished a hot 5-for-6 from three-point range as she carried her team on the offensive end and the Bobcats took a 20-point lead into the locker room.
With Leavitt and Deer’s play so strong early on the season, it’s no wonder why everyone is expecting great things from this Texas State team in the 2017-18 campaign.
Ericka May: The Bobcats guard/forward pulled down 11 rebounds in the victory over Incarnate Word on Wednesday night. She helped her squad win the battle of the boards 52-37 and the second chance points stat 17-6.
May was the leader in the paint for Texas State, making plays every chance she had. She may be over looked with the high scoring from Leavitt and Deer, but make no mistake just how important she is to this Bobcats team.
Melina Merrett: The UIW senior guard finished with eight points for the home squad. She shot 4-for-10 from the field in 28 minutes of work.
Despite the Cardinals getting blown out two of their three games, Merrett’s hard work will eventually lead her team to a win. The UIW ladies just have to trust the process.